Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeWise
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:51:56
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (15717)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Johnny Cash becomes first musician honored with statue inside US Capitol
- Coach’s Halloween 2024 Drop Is Here—Shop Eerie-sistible Bags and Accessories We’re Dying To Get Our Hands
- Diddy arrest punctuates long history of legal troubles: Unraveling old lawsuits, allegations
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Opinion: Tyreek Hill is an imperfect vessel who is perfect for this moment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Game Changers
- Best Free People Deals Under $50 -- Boho Chic Styles Starting at $14, Save Up to 69%
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Sean Diddy Combs and Bodyguard Accused of Rape in New Civil Court Filing
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Aramark workers at 3 Philadelphia sports stadiums are now on strike. Here's why.
- Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 16 players to start or sit in Week 4
- Bunny buyer's remorse leads Petco to stop selling rabbits, focus on adoption only
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Pac-12 Conference files lawsuit against Mountain West over potential 'poaching fee'
- 'Wild ride': 8th bull that escaped rodeo in Massachusetts caught after thrilling chase
- Pac-12 files federal lawsuit against Mountain West over $43 million in ‘poaching’ penalties
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Two people killed, 5 injured in Texas home collapse
Jury awards teen pop group OMG Girlz $71.5 million in battle with toy maker over “L.O.L.” dolls
Man who staked out Trump at Florida golf course charged with attempting an assassination
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Jayden Daniels stats: Commanders QB sets rookie record in MNF upset of Bengals
Judge Judy's Nighttime Activity With Husband Jerry Sheindlin Is Very on Brand
Judge Judy's Nighttime Activity With Husband Jerry Sheindlin Is Very on Brand